Child harnesses are not evil.


This video has sparked a lot of controversy. I came across it on Twitter, but it's on The Huffington Post. It depicts a woman dragging a child on a child harness through a Verizon store. The comments posted are quite critical of the woman's use of the child harness--or leash as people want to call it.

The first time a person, especially a non-parent, sees a child on a harness, they think it's cruel and/or might have flashbacks to the SNL skit of Mike Myers' hyper kid tethered to monkeybars with a leash. People are quick to judge the parents using the harnesses, and those that do are either childless, have very well-behaved kids, or don't realize just how unsafe the world really is for toddlers and preschoolers.

We have a harness for the kiddo and I'd like to say I'm unashamed, but the judging eyes are always leering at us. We don't use it often, in fact we've only used it once, at a busy farmer's market. And the looks we got were chilling. I am embarrassed and I know I shouldn't be because I'm doing what's best for my child. She's very curious, very outgoing and unafraid, she would take off if she could. The harness is for peace of mind and for safety. Not only does it keep her close to us while allowing her to have some freedom of movement, but it also keeps her from being taken. Kids who are kidnapped are taken so quickly that it's often too late by the time you realize they're gone. So, which would you rather: have your child comfortably free to move while still being safe or have them taken from you? You're probably thinking that you're a responsible parent (or that you would be if you had kids) but don't you think the parents of kidnapped kids felt they were responsible?

Of course there are parents that misuse the harnesses. They find it's easier to walk (and tug) their kids on a leash like a dog than it is to discipline them gently. But there are some parents that harness their children for safety, not for control.

0 comments:

Free Twitter buttons from languageisavirus.com
Updates

    About Me

    My photo
    I'm a former full-time paramedic who became a stay-at-home mom. Going from life and death excitement to days filled with Blue's Clues hasn't been easy. But I wouldn't trade it for the world...well, ok, maybe for the WHOLE world.